My Home Contents Insurance

The National Housing Federation works in partnership with Thistle Tenant Risks, who provide My Home Contents Insurance. The My Home scheme is designed for tenants and residents living in social housing, offering economical and flexible schemes to protect tenants against a whole range of risks at no cost to you as a member.

Thistle Tenant Risks is a leading provider, developing tenant contents insurance schemes in the social housing sector for over twenty years and working with in excess of 700 housing associations and local authorities.

How can having home contents insurance help your tenants and residents?

It is a good idea for tenants and residents to consider home contents insurance to cover their possessions against fire, theft and other risks, such as accidental damage. If something happens to destroy or damage possessions, some of which may be essential, it can cost a lot of money to replace those items. This is of particular concern given the increased cost of living.

Contents insurance can provide peace of mind, that in these instances, they would be able to have items replaced or repaired.

Why use My Home?

Many people in social housing do not have a home contents insurance policy, so if they were to suffer a fire, flood or theft, low-income households face an unenviable choice of using credit, drawing down savings (where available), or going without and adapting in ways that might ultimately be more expensive.

My Home Contents Insurance is designed to help protect your tenant's possessions, offering you:

Flexibility for your tenants and residents

The policy has been designed to meet the specific needs of tenants. The pricing and payment options have been developed to provide flexibility. Extra cover is also available - extended accidental damage, personal possessions (cover for items away from the home), wheelchairs and hearing aids and the structure of garages, sheds and greenhouses, so your tenants can personalise their cover to protect what is important to them. Tenants can choose from a range of payment options including weekly, fortnightly, monthly and annual collections.

A dedicated in-house team

The administration of all "arms-length" schemes is managed in-house by Thistle’s expert team, so there are no third-party administration fees built into the premiums, no unnecessary costs and no extra burden on your organisation.

Simple administration

Alternatively, housing providers can administer their own Tenants Home Contents Insurance Scheme using our bespoke web-based portal, reducing the need for existing system changes to accommodate insurance.

Benefits to your tenants

  • Covers theft, water damage, fire, and many more household risks.
  • Covers tenant’s improvements (up to £2,000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greater).
  • Covers contents in sheds, outbuildings, and garages (up to £3,000).
  • Covers damage to external glazing for which tenants are responsible.
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen.
  • There’s no need to have a special door or window locks (just a lockable front door).

How much does home contents insurance cost?

Premiums vary, depending on the postcode, sum insured, cover levels and payment method, tenants can get a quote by calling the My Home Team on 0345 450 7288.

Terms and conditions apply.

What Promotional Support you will receive as a member?

To help support, Thistle Tenant Risks promise extensive and innovative marketing support which is specifically designed to increase take up of insurance amongst your tenants and residents. The tenant call-back service and My Home website continue to be used extensively by housing associations and residents.

They work hard to meet the challenges of a changing environment; their team has been instrumental in introducing many new initiatives to encourage low income families to take out insurance.

Thistle Tenant Risks also provides quarterly communications with downloadable articles on various topics, which can be used on websites, newsletters, and in resident magazines. They also offer adverts, social media, approved regulatory website wording and much more


After a tender exercise in 2022, First Choice Homes Oldham (FCHO) transferred their rent scheme to the NHF’s My Home Contents Insurance scheme. 

Here’s what FCHO have to say:

“When we transferred our scheme to Thistle Insurance Services, the NHF’s Preferred Supplier, we couldn’t have been happier with the smooth transition. As administrators of our scheme, it was important to us that our tenants and residents would benefit from this change.

“From the outset, it was clear that Thistle have dealt with such transfers before. There was a very tight deadline, and working together letters, documents and systems were updated and sent to customers in good time. 

“Thistle’s approach and the experience in the team gave us assurance we had chosen the right provider. After working with them for a year we find that they offer us a good level of service, respond quickly to queries, and hold regular meetings. Overall we are pleased with how well we are working together."

Mohammad Alam, Income Collection Team Leader, First Choice Homes Oldham


Find out more about My Home Contents Insurance


Contact details

For more information on the My Home scheme and how it can benefit you and your tenants contact us:

Alternatively, you can email us at

The National Housing Federation works in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Reference Number 310419.

Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW.

Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group. The Thistle Insurance Data Protection Privacy Policy can be viewed on their website.